|“||These adorable little fish are a mainstay of any aquarium!||”|
— Meryl, The Fish Emporium
Guppies are the most iconic fish in Insaniquarium, appearing in every single level in every game mode. Guppies have five apparent stages of growth: baby, medium, large, star, and king. They are the fish with the most stages of growth, followed by breeders and ball fish.
Guppies can be acquired in three ways:
|Baby guppies are the first growth stage. This size has the highest danger of death and won't drop anything. Baby guppies can be protected by Wadsworth against aliens. If well-fed, a baby guppy will grow into a medium guppy.||N/A|
|Medium guppies start dropping money every so often, allowing players to buy more fish and other items. Medium-sized guppies can be protected by Wadsworth against aliens. A well-fed medium guppy will turn into a large guppy.||Silver coin|
|Large guppies are the next growth level. If a large guppy eats a star potion, it will become a star guppy. If a large guppy survives for a long time, it will turn into a king guppy.||Gold coin|
|Star guppies are only available in Tank 2. They drop stars instead of coins, which are eaten by starcatchers. Star guppies can also turn into king guppies. They are rather translucent, and have higher color contrast compared to regular large guppies.||Star|
|King guppies are the final form of a guppy. If a large guppy is kept alive for ten minutes, it will transform into a king guppy. They drop diamonds instead of coins and wear a crown. King guppies are a light blue in color with deep blue fins.||Diamond|
|Nostradamus guppies are guppies that have eaten snot from either Nostradamus or snot from another Nostradamus guppy. Nostradamus guppies increase the chance of postponing an alien attack. Nostradamus guppies do not require food, but they can still be killed by Amp's electric shock.||Snot|
- Besides being eaten by aliens and starvation, guppies are also subject to predators. Baby guppies in particular are used to feed carnivores and guppycrunchers. Guppies of any size may be eaten by the pet Gash.
- They may also be harmed by Shrapnel's bombs or Amp's electrocution ability. Baby and medium guppies will die when they attempt to eat a star potion, giving baby guppies a third hazard exclusive to their maturity stage.
- On the other hand, baby and medium guppies will be protected by Wadsworth, and Gumbo can help protect guppies and breeders of any size. Additionally, guppies are the only fish that are produced by other fish via birth.
Baby guppies are a form of food available for carnivores and guppycrunchers. They can be produced by Prego, a large breeder, or Cookie, if neither Prego nor a breeder is in the tank. They can also be bought from The Fish Emporium (and they can't be eaten). Regular guppies cost 25 shells, colored guppies cost 500 shells, rainbow guppies cost 2,500 shells, and more expensive guppies with various special attributes are sometimes available. All guppies have the same payout (but colored guppies can't grow to king) - small guppies give nothing, medium guppies give silver shells, large guppies give gold shells, and king guppies give blue shells.
Guppies gain resale value over time; 50% of price per growth stage: 50% for small, 100% for medium, 150% for large, 200% for king.
The first guppy a large breeder gives birth to will become owned by the player and be known as a junior. All guppies thereafter function as carnivore food. A junior will be named after it's parent with an added "JR" at the end of their name and drop substantially better shells than store-bought guppies, starting with gold shells as a baby, blue shells when medium, spiral shells when large, and bags o' shells when it becomes a king guppy. Their hometown will always be Virtual Tank.
Santa is a secret guppy that has a white body and red fins, quickly grows to full size after a few feedings, produces bags of shells, and sings its own special Christmas fish songs. Buying Santa guppies with special attributes, raising them, and selling them the next day to get a new one is a great way to earn shells faster.
Rocky is an extremely rare, pre-named fish available for purchase in The Fish Emporium that never grows and eats ultravores, roaring loudly while it does so. Rocky has a blue body and white fins, is priced at 50,000 shells, and is associated with a disappearance glitch that makes it a bothersome fish to purchase.
Guppies made cameos in other PopCap games outside the world of Insaniquarium:
- There are multiple Guppies underwater if you complete/fail a level in the downloadable PopCap game, Noah's Ark. They are seen swimming when the flood has risen.
- You can see Guppies from a distance when you play the downloadable version of TyperShark from a distance when Mavis Beacon is attacked by angry sharks, piranhas, and guardians of the treasure.
- It is based off the real fish, Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
- Guppies are the cheapest fish in Emporium (at a price of 25 shells)
- Medium-sized guppies are the least vulnerable of the guppies.
- The king guppy is the only form to have colors other than gold and pink.
- Guppies and carnivores are the only fish that have special color sets in Virtual Tank.
- The guppy is the only fish species in the game to appear in every tank (excluding star guppies).
- Star guppies remain translucent when they turn green from hunger.
- In the virtual tank, colored guppies can have 32 possible color combinations. If using the Fishinator 2, this is further increased to 281,474,976,710,656 (2^48).